Last month, the Azure Media Services team announced the availability of Azure Media Services functionalities through portal.azure.com (codename Ibiza) in public preview; you can check all the details in this blog post by @mingfeiy. After this announcement, there were some updates to the new portal with more features, enhancements and several bug fixes.
In this post you will find a quick summary of what is new and what has changed in the new portal for Azure Media Services.
Add FairPlay DRM protection onto both VOD and live stream
You can now configure the default content key authorization policy for FairPlay DRM from the Content Protection blade by providing the App Certificate (.pfx file containing the private key along with its password) and the Application Secret Key (ASK) received when you generate the certification using Apple Developer portal.
After configuring the default content key authorization policy for FairPlay DRM, two new encryption options are going to be available for both VOD and live stream assets.
- PlayReady and Widevine with MPEG-DASH + FairPlay with HLS
- FairPlay only with HLS
For more details about FairPlay Streaming (FPS) support, you can check this blog post: Stream premium content to Apple TV with Azure Media Services.
Enable/Disable CDN in Streaming Endpoint
After creating a streaming endpoint, you can now enable/disable CDN feature from the Streaming Endpoint Details blade. Remember that, in order to enable CDN feature, the streaming endpoint must be in Stopped state and have at least one streaming unit.
Improve delete Channel experience
In order to delete a channel, the Azure Media Services REST API validates that:
- The channel is in Stopped state
- The channel does not contain any programs
The original implementation of the Delete command was only enabled in channels satisfying both conditions. To make it easier for Azure portal users, it is now always enabled and takes care of performing these operations (if necessary):
- Stop all the programs in the channel
- Delete all the programs in the channel
- Stop the channel
- Delete the channel
Show ‘Account ID’ property in the Summary and Properties blades
The Media Services ‘Account ID’ is now available in both the Summary and Properties blades. This value is useful, for example, when you want to submit a support request through the Azure portal and univocally identify your account.
- Create Media Services Account blade: Account Name availability validation fails when the user has a disabled subscriptions
- Create Media Services Account blade: Location dropdown is empty for some subscriptions
- Asset blade: Encrypt command does not get automatically enabled when the asset type changes after an encoding job finishes
- Publish the Asset blade: Notification error message when scaling streaming endpoint while creating a streaming locator
- Asset Media Analytics blade: Remove frame limit for Azure Media Hyperlapse Media Processor
- Create a new Channel wizard (Custom Create): Channel creation fails when ingest streaming protocol is set to RTP/MPEG-2
- Create a new Channel wizard (Custom Create): Wrong ingest streaming protocol set when creating multiple channels
- Create a Live Event blade: Binding issue in Archive Window field
- Streaming Endpoint Details blade: Streaming units max limit is 5 but it should be 10
- Streaming Endpoint Settings blade: Setting an entry in the Streaming Allowed IP Addresses table breaks media streaming
- Media Services blades fail to load in Safari for Mac
- Delete operations do not work after performing an update on the same entity